Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ginger's Apartment (Moving Journal #3)

Ginger is my friend who lives in the condos near my daughter where I am considering moving. It is, as I mentioned in my previous two blogs about my upcoming move, close to my daughter Ellen's home where I would be within walking distance of her and her family which consists of El, her husband, four children, two dogs and a cat named Theodore to whom I am incredibly allergic. Theo and I do not have much of a relationship.

I'm staying in faith that God is leading me, while watching for signs of His leading (as in "faith signs" - see photo above). I went to look at Ginger's apartment just to get the feel of it. Nice layout, lots of room and a washer/dryer which the other I looked at didn't have. It so happens that the condo across the hall is vacant as the woman who owns it went to live with her children. An attempt is going to be made to contact her to see if she wants to rent it. Then Ginger and I would be next door neighbors.

It's funny how some places just feel right and others don't. Each apartment has walls and floors, window, etc. There is always a visual sense of light or lack of it. Some places feel more comfortable than others. But it's the people who give it the sense of presence, of ambiance, or lack of it. You can feel if they're happy or not in a person's home, don't you think? And it's the 'stuff' that people have that gives a place personality as if the home is an extension of one's personhood. some are stiff and cold, others are welcoming. Ginger's home is warm and gives evidence of her love for the Lord. Even if Ginger wasn't there, you could tell that about her by her "stuff."

The building in not new. I don't mind. I tell myself, if I were, say, living in Jerusalem, I would have no trouble thinking a forty year old building was just fine, new even compared to some which are as old as New Testament history that took place there. So long as the plumbing and the heat work. In Jerusalem houses often do not have heat, so this is a plus. (I have a scar on my leg from when I tripped over a space heater in Jerusalem once trying to keep warm.) I'm not in Jerusalem, of course, though it would be my first choice if all things were equal. However, it is in North Florida that I am in search of a new home. We'll see what comes of trying to contact the absent lady next door to Ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment