Saturday, August 27, 2016

Paralyzed No More (Mark 2:1-12.)



Through the magic of imagination, I was able to capture an interview with the man who was healed after being totally paralyzed.  I think you may have heard his story before. It can also be found in Mark 2:1-12.  You might even be able to catch the periodic poetic rhyming in this man's speech. Enjoy the story.
 
I had forgotten what it was like to walk,
to be able to care for myself
and go where I wanted;
to run through the village
and into the meadow
where the sight of softly swaying stalks of sun-drenched grains
fill your heart with delight.
I’d forgotten even what it was like to walk across the cool shuttered rooms
to the kitchen to join with my brothers,
and any others
who were there, eating eye to eye.  

They brought me my food upon a tray
And set me where I would not be in the way
They carried me.  My brothers, they had to carry me! 
Them and my friend Ya’acov who still remembers when we played tag
among the trees and scooped tadpoles
from the trickling stream
and told each other stories until the fires turned to glowing embers. 

But everything was different today.
They gave me no choice, ignoring my voice
of dissention. I had no say.
Today, they say, we are gong to see the Healer, that Yeshua, the one from Nazareth. 
Miracles, they tell me
and their voices ring with excited intentions
to make me one of them.
I don’t want to go, I tell them.
but they were so sure
and since I could not get off my bed
I was borne along in dread
to the destination the others
had determined for me.

Crowds of people barricaded the door
with no intentions of letting them carry me in.
Though I begged to go home,
I knew they would win
over my protests
and my pleading would fall upon deaf ears.
Then I heard cheers from within the house:
“He hears!  He hears!”
As someone was freed from a life of deafness.
by this Yeshua, this healer from Nazareth.

Always somebody else, I thought.
I swallowed the familiar sense of failure
That had been my daily bread
Ever since That Day.
There is no way I told myself,
to be free of That Day,
Not anymore
I told myself
I’ll have to pay
And live out my days
upon this litter,
causing others to bear this bitter task
– me as the burden they had to carry.

I was shaken from my self-absorbing reverie
And jostled on my bed
as I was lifted high above their heads.
My brothers, who with uplifted arms
pulled me with ropes they found somewhere,
up into the air, past the windows,
and clearing the cross beams to the roof above where Ya’acov was waiting 
I settled with a thud
and then wondered
if being this high made me any closer to God.

I marveled that they’d done it,
and that they’d cared for me this much
that each would play a part to bring me here.
They had such hope, I knew,
but the thought of further failure
caused me to fear of disappointing them again
and brought panic
to my already pounding heart.

Now what? I asked them tentatively
afraid of what they intended next
concerned they would ask something of me
I could not give them.
But they knew what I could not do.
They knew all too well
without my having to tell them
what was racing through my mind.
Then dirt was flying here and there.
and I was tasting dust
but I could only watch
as they dug a hole after lifting off the thatch.

Oh, how I wished that we were home.
“Hey! What’s going on?” shouted someone
from below.  I just wanted to go.
But there surely was no way to make them stop. If only I could just hop
off this bed and fly away.
But it was clear I’d have to stay
and see this through
whatever my brothers and Ya’acov
were determined to do.

And then again with the ropes they’d found
they lowered me down upon my bed
to just in front of the Man who stood and said
something about how much faith my brothers had   
to be so determined that they’d bring the lad
to Him through a hole in the roof.
He seemed not annoyed but delighted,
even touched by this act
of what He called courageous faith.
His words about faith stirred something inside me.
All of a sudden I knew that I could face whatever would happen.
Somehow I sensed there would be no disgrace, the very thing I feared the most.

He bent down to talk with me at my level
and His eyes, His eyes – what color were they?
I cannot recall, for all colors seemed to be
at home in Him,
as if in His eyes – in those eyes
He Himself was also everyone else,
and even me.
I can’t explain what I seemed to see.

But then, He looked into my own eyes
as if He saw the core of me
And He said to me,
“Son, your sins are forgiven.”

At this the crowd grew quiet. Deafeningly silent.
But I was not concerned with them.
I could only try and grasp what He just said.
Forgiven? The words ricocheted around my head.

My thoughts came so quickly.
Suddenly I was back on That Day
when my poor choice had sent me
hurling down an emotional ravine
that had left me reeling
and so devastated, I could hardly move.
How could I have let it happen like that? 
I was powerless against it.
And afterwards, I had lain there in my misery
in darkened silence for so long
that when I tried to move
I couldn’t. And since
even the thought, even a flicker of remembrance of That Day would
bring me such dismay
that it kept me paralyzed inside
as if part of me had died
and the rest of me was in mourning
And unable to rise.

Forgiven, He said.  He’s forgiven me of my sin.
How can He do that? He’s just another man.
But I looked again into His eyes - His eyes
and saw reflected there myself as if my sin
was absorbed into His very being, and then
I knew that it was true
I knew I was forgiven
as if my sin had never been.
That Day, I knew, no longer had control of me
and, just like that, I was free to live again!

While I was still trying to process this
and have it all make sense to me
a discussion was going on with
some men wrapped in tallit.[1]
“So you will know” Yeshua said,
“that the Son of Man
can forgive the sins of men,”
He looked at me again and said,
“Son, take up your bed a walk.”
I had been so overwhelmed and awed
that my guilt had fled
I had forgotten I was still upon my bed.
I looked inside myself for the usual dread
and for the hopelessness but they were gone. 

Carefully I bent my knees
and slowly stood upon my legs.
which no longer felt like useless pegs.
Straightening up inch by inch,
I felt the strength
grow in my body.
I reached for His arm to steady me
but He had already reached for me
to be there as I needed Him
until I stood erect. 

The crowd cheered, at least most of them,
Though a few in the throng
scowled as if He’d done something wrong.
But I didn’t listen for long,
This was so right.
This was so good.
And from where I now stood
I lifted my arms to my brothers and Ya’acov
who peered down through the hole
in the roof above
where they’d watched from that height
and who now were cheering
with all of their might. 

With a love I’d never known before
I gave praise to my God
and great thanks to Yeshua.
“Pick up your bed and go home,” He said.
I gathered my litter under my arm
and climbed over the people in the room
who made room for me to walk
through the crowd as they cheered me on.
I ran – yes I ran – outside to Ya’acov and my brothers who met me there with great joy
and hugs that could smother. 
They lifted me off of the ground, spinning me around, then watched me walk and jump and leap in the sunshine.  When we finally  realized the time, I said,  “Come on. Let’s go home” and I began walking 
into my future where my life was waiting for me to begin again.



[1] Fringed prayer shawl.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this familiar story. There are many ways to be paralyzed but only one way to be fully restored. His name is Yeshua.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen Moss - CanadaAugust 30, 2016 at 10:35 PM

    Your poem ‘Paralyzed No More’ is powerful and fabulous!! It brought me to tears at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You outdid yourself on this one Lon! Excellent! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great background to Jesus' miracle.
    Lonnie, how excited I was today to discover your blog! I used to read your articles on Messianic Vision and was disappointed when you no longer wrote for them. That must've been what, 3-4 years ago? One article I really enjoyed was the several part article on gazing into the face of Y'shua. I'm looking froward to perusing your blog now.
    Louellen

    ReplyDelete