Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Theology of Moving (Moving Journal #2)

Moving forward on the forthcoming move (see previous blog), I went to see one of the options of the condos near my daughter. If you can tell something about a person by the wallpaper they pick out, then the woman who owned this apartment before the present tenants moved in five years ago, was a frustrated set designer for a 1929 flapper movie. Wild stuff, not to mention that the paper was close to being that old and still somehow clinging to the walls.

It was a smaller layout and... well, I found out I'm a snob. This was clearly beneath my dignity and aesthetic sensabilities. Lord, You couldn't possibly be asking me to live here. Could You? I was suddenly faced with a theological question: Is this a lesson on going to the Cross and denying myself and being satisfied with what I don't want but He's giving me? Or should I be praying in faith for God to give me something that would be a blessing to me that I would love and enjoy? I opted for the second, keeping open with Him that I really want His will. This, as it turns out, is as much of an issue of learning about God as it is about finding a new home.

The other day I spent a rather cerebral day reading and thinking, and talking with God about what I was thinking about since it was mostly about Him. It seems to me that, for those with eyes to see it (see John 3:3), history is largely God's revelation of Himself which take place in the situations of man. Each opportunity is an opportunity to learn more of God and to have Him reveal Himself to you, if you are looking to Him to do so. My move has become that kind of quest. So I'm on the alert for new God-sightings, to see where He turns up in this search for a new home. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment