Thursday, February 24, 2011

Family, Friends & Boxes - Moving Journal #10

I don't necessarily recommend planning a vacation when you're in the midst of a move, but then again, it was a wonderful opportunity to take a break from the packing and the constant planning in my head of what to put where. My two daughters, one son-in-law, and a selection of four of my grandchildren drove to Philadelphia for a wonderful couldn't-have-been-better visit for a family event, and a day with dear friends. We drove the 14 hours both ways through the night, taking turns sleeping, caravaning in two cars, keeping in touch with cell phones for when we needed to make a stop: "Gotta get gas"..."Gotta pee"..."We're hungry," etc. I admit it was a very long drive and there were times I just didn't want to do it anymore.


Meanwhile, back at home, my dear friend Nancy was good enough to come and stay with Lizzie who, being a dog, has no idea why there are boxes everywhere and things are not as they have always been, though I have certainly tried to explain it to her. Still, she continues to look worried.

While I was gone, Nancy carried on the packing of my many books which has taken more time than packing everything else. She even went in search of boxes and discovered that the best source of book packing boxes can be found in auto supply stores. Those boxes that ship motor oil are the perfect size for books. The day I got back we went to various stores in search of more boxes. I've learned that coming just after noon and before three o'clock is the best time to obtain empty boxes of all sizes, just after they've unloaded them and before they crush them - a piece of miscellany that could prove very useful if you're planning to move.

Nancy has continued to come and help pack, for which I am most grateful. I am somewhat organizationally challenged - confusion tends to render me ...well, confused (did I mention that before?).  And like with the driving from Philly, I sometimes just don't want to continue to do this anymore. Giving up, in either case, has not been an option.

Terri came the first day and got me started, and then came yesterday afternoon, along with Sandy, in time for a quickie supper of chicken wings, rice and salad -- my last friends-for-dinner (one of my favorite things to do) in this home. They did an amazing job of getting the whole kitchen packed. Who knew there was all that stuff under the kitchen sink?

It's a true friend who will come and help you pack, filling boxes with paper wrapped items and securing box after box with tape. Doing it together is a bonding experience - (pun intended). I'm sure there are special rewards in heaven for such folks.



1 comment:

  1. Lonnie,
    I took time to read your writings today and loved it. Cool weather, window open, birds singing outside, people on the golf course; just what the doctor Yeshua ordered.
    Now, do I have to go back to that yard sale STUFF?
    Blessings,
    Mary P.

    ReplyDelete