Saturday, February 5, 2011

Attempted Categories -- Moving Journal #9

Boxes. When in need of boxes do not ask the manager of the supermarket. Go to the produce guy. He will load you up with apple and banana boxes. You need different kinds of boxes for different stuff. Small ones for books or they get too heavy. That's where the Dollar Store dumpstser boxes are good. Waxed boxes are pretty ugly but will serve for things that could spill, like cleaning supplies or food, not that I'm up to packing food yet.

Packing the books in categories turns out to be more tedius than I expected. Some categories are clearly more defined than others, but what category do you put something like "The Psychology of Jesus" in? Is that NT teachings, Jesus or counseling? Do I put "The Uses of the Old Testament in the New" in OT or NT? Not all have to do with God. There's my books on quilting, beading and knitting. Admittedly I do more looking at the pictures than I do any quilting, beading or knitting. Then there are books like "In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed." I must find some time to finish that book one day. I found books I forgot I had. And others I've had for decades I'm rather attached to like old friends.

In my quest for categorizing my books, first I made piles on the floor. It quickly became too many categories, which meant more piles, and as I added to the piles, they didn't stay stacked due to being of varying sizes, and so the piles soon began to slouch over into each other. About that time, one 14 pound fluffy white ball of bounding enthusiasm named Lizzy (see photo) paid me a visit and that pretty much obliterated most of the deliniations between the categories. So much for that idea. 

I guess I'll put them more in categories on the unpacking end.

  

1 comment:

  1. I guess now your categories are: The piles Lizzie jumped on and the piles she didn't.

    ReplyDelete