Monday, January 31, 2011

Helping Ginger Pack - Moving Journal #5


Need new faucets?
Our ladies Bible study group went over to Ginger's to help her pack. It gave me another opportunity to look around the apartment and to see what I had gotten myself into. As the condos are not new, while I generally like homes that have a patina and some personality, some lived in quality, like it could tell you stories of what life has gone on in there over the years, (my favorite home was a 200 year old farmhouse in Pennsulvania I lived in for a number of years), now I was seeing wear and tear that was less then idyllic. Suddenly it seems like this is happening to someone else and I can't even begin to picture myself living there.

I had envisioned putting my writing desk under a window I could open to let the lovely curtains I planned to make flutter in the breeze while the smell of Spring and early summer came wafting through. But I discovered that behind Ginger's window-camouflaging drapes the window looked out on a parking lot and there sat a row of cars six feet away staring right at me through said window like they were saying, "We were here first." So much for that idyllic idea. Now I know the reason for Ginger's heavy drapes over the window.

While the other rooms were a good size, would the dining room would have room for my two wonderful cane bottom chairs that had belonged to my Dad and Mom which presently flank my antique-pitcher-collection-laden 1750's reproduction hutch? And would I ever have space to open the leaves of my table for dinner for more than six? What about my piano? Can you play a piano when you live in an apartment complex without having the neighbors complain even though I play lovely music that I'm sure they would like. Then there's the fixtures in the bathrooms. The worn faucets need to be replaced - badly. I tried to picture Richard, my new landlord, coming over with a wrench and a new set of faucets in hand. But I've never even met Richard. We've only had a phone conversation or two to agree on me living there at Ginger's recommendation. Would he be willing to come and install new ones?

Lord, are You sure this is where you want me? If it's not, please let me know pronto before I meet Richard next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment